Saturday, September 27, 2008

Essay 22 A Cold Night and a Colder Morning in Fairbanks, Alaska

Essay 22
A COLD NIGHT AND A COLDER MORNING IN FAIRBANKS ALASKA
It was deep winter in Fairbanks, Alaska, and I was making an official visit to the University for discussions about Amchitka, where we had three nuclear tests, in 1965, 1969, and 1971. It was bitterly cold, and one night it was -52 degrees, Fahrenheit. I not only remember that as being cold, but that was the night some of the University boys chose to streak from their dorms through the Student Union in order to get the record for streaking in the coldest temperature.
The following morning I arrived at the airport in plenty of time, and the outgoing plane was late, so I was about the only traveler to be found. I had some reading to do, so I went to the gate, and through security. There was only one security guard present. After I passed through the usual machine, I sat down. Deciding to be friendly, I asked the gentleman if he had heard about the streakers. He had. I then said that I was curious. If a naked man were to run through the screener, would he make the man come back and walk through?
The conversation ended with these words.
“It is against the law to joke about screening, and one more word and I’ll have you arrested!”
I obeyed, but it was a difficult moment! I kept wondering if one more word included laughing!

No comments: